yesterday was an eventful day.

sunday night kristy and i lost some power in our house. not all of the power, but only a few areas. my immediate thought was that some breakers were tripped. i check, no breakers are tripped. then i was worried that something chewed up some wires in the attic. nothing.

after some checking with my multimeter i found that one of the 120v legs coming into my main panel was dead. zero volts to ground. nothing. no 240v service either, so no stove or air conditioner.

i called georgia power and no one came.

fast forward to yesterday. at 5am kristy and i left for the hospital with our 9 month old daughter rachel. she had tubes put in her ears to alleviate some fluid buildup she’s been suffering for the past couple of months.

when we got home i called georgia power again. about an hour later a lineman shows up at my house.

when the lineman pulled the power meter it was smoking, and the plastic plate on the back side was charred and melted. the box was so hot i couldn’t touch it, even with gloves on.

turns out that my 1965 vintage meter socket had failed. something wasn’t torqued properly, the lugs and spades burned up, and my houes almost caught on fire.

my options were limited since there aren’t replacement parts for the old school sockets. i ended up having to replace the socket with a new style socket, which is physically larger than the old one. one problem – it’s recessed into a brick wall, and i don’t have enough slack in my wiring to surface mount the box.

after a few hours of sawing and busting brick, pulling wire, hammering, cutting, pushing and cursing, my new box was in the wall. georgia power returned late last night and restored my power, and it works flawlessly.

it’s amazing how close you can come to disaster and how much work it takes to get back on the right track. it’s also amazing what being so close to disaster can do for you.

last night was one of the most romantic nights i have ever had with my wife. we had to order pizza, which we weren’t excited about, but we ate it by candlelight. my normally rambunctious 2-1/2 year old son snuggled with us on the futon and fell asleep in our embrace. we watched him dream about fire trucks and nemo while we held hands and ate.

when the power was restored we turned the lights off, left the candles burning and enjoyed the simplicity of it all.

Advertisements